PDF Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a book. Happy reading Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Massachusetts, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the Civil War Vol.7a Pocket Guide.

I still use the "chain of command", can still tell military time, have a memorized social security number, and still use my medical training even on the ranch animals. After having a TB test every six months for four years, still to this day, I react to the standard TB test. Schaffer We arrived in Vietnam in the middle of the night and the aircraft shut off all its lights.

Upon disembarking from the plane, we were instantly under a mortar attack. We were instructed to get low and run for the bunkers besides the runway. That night, I heard rockets, mortars, gunship fire, and jet aircraft taking off and landing. Flares lit up the night sky. I was scared to death. I was sure I would die my first night there. After my one year in Vietnam, the flight out was such a relief. There was total silence on that plane until the pilot announced we were out of Vietnam air space.

Then there was a roar and applause. Yes, that night and others I will never forget. Schmidt , Tehachapi, California I had the honor of being a pilot of a Huey helicopter, the old B and C model gunships, and the H-model. We flew the two corps area in the Central Highlands.

I spent one tour from Apr to Apr It was the period of "Vietnamization" where we got to train Vietnamese pilots. Very interesting. I saw much in that short year, but only a few occasions seem to have remained with me over the years. We were covering a convoy one day, the trucks were going one way and Vietnamese refugees were headed the other way. Everything they owned was on their backs or on their bicycles. I suppose either the Viet Cong or the Americans had torched their village. The image of all those poor souls going down the road has stuck in my memory. Another occasion was when the Koreans were involved in combat.

A sister helicopter was hauling back dead bodies from the combat area and unloading them at the little landing zone where we were. Rigor mortis had already taken place and the bodies were in different positions. They simply pulled them off the helicopter onto the ground. It was a stark reminder that there were actually people losing life.

One of my crew chiefs was wounded on a mission that I was also involved in. He managed to live for several weeks. I visited him several times in the hospital at Quin Honh. I took him some letters one day, but he was unable to read them. He asked me to read them. I remember that large quonset building filled with guys that were not expected to make it. Paul Nolen died the day I left Vietnam. Vietnam was a very beautiful country. We actually had good times too.

We saved lives as well as took lives. It was much better when we could save them. The task, it seems, is to remember the good times and not dwell on the bad times. Sometimes we manage to do that. Other times we are not that successful at not remembering the bad. I was told at that time that I was their first Vietnam veteran. I took a job in Spearfish, SD and received my notice to take a physical within 30 days. All my friends were enlisting in the Navy or Air Force. I said two years would not be too long, and let myself get drafted. Benning, GA. I then got orders for Vietnam it then seemed like a bad dream until I returned to Ft.

Lewis and received an early out because my time remaining in active service was less than five months. I did not get called up for reserves and did not have any contact with the Army until I received my discharge. I did not look back on my experience or talk about it until I attended a Vietnam veterans' reunion in Ft. Collins, Colorado. The City of Rochester gave us a real "Welcome Home" celebration that really made me feel like that year in Vietnam was something I should be proud of. I went back to college when I got out in and did not feel comfortable with the protests and demonstrations, but accepted the freedom that those people had to express their views.

When I was drafted, I believed we should be patriotic and do our duty.

  • Slave Ship from Sergan: Cap Kennedy Book 2;
  • Fairy Gardening: Creating Your Own Magical Miniature Garden?
  • May › Page 7A - mudywehy.tk.
  • About this book!
  • Adventures of the little dragon Okho.

Today, I have two sons that are of draft age and I hope to Hell they do not get drafted! I think it is time for this nation to take care of business at home and get rid of the war mongers that want to fight for oil. The National Guard should be at home to deal with the hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes and the flu crisis that faces this nation.

Then, most of the time, we would sit off the shore for days and then go pick up what was left. The Marines were always glad to see us and were glad to get hot food and a warm shower. Our mission was rescuing downed pilots. After that, I went to Memphis, TN for electronics schooling. I was part of four cruises on the ship. We usually stayed on station for four weeks, then went to port for about six days. We flew combat missions about 12 hours a day and our shop worked 12 hour shifts, night and day.

This routine continued for the next four years. During the first two years at Dakota Wesleyan University, the secretary for the local draft board, Sylvia Krick, told me that as long as I had a 2. Then in , the routine changed and I was told they were giving four years of deferment for college and that would be it. It seems there were a whole lot of guys with 2. She told me that if I didn't have my draft notice by a week from Thursday I wouldn't go in until August. I received the notice a week from Thursday and was told to report on 23 July I had made up my mind long ago that I was going to take the draft, get in my two years, then get out and on with life.

No regular Army for me. This proved to be a dangerous decision. I learned later that I was lacking in wisdom. Growing up in rural South Dakota with a strong deference for authority and a patriotic spirit that was instilled by participating in the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance each day in school, and by attending the American Legion Memorial Day Programs, the thought of going to Canada or even voicing objection to the war was not even considered.

If the Commander-in-Chief, Richard Nixon, said that "if Vietnam falls, there will be a domino effect all across Asia" who was I to question such wisdom?

Massachusetts soldiers, sailors, and marines in the civil war | Open Library

So off I went, naive about the possibilities that existed. McGovern brought his views to campus, but they were not accepted there or anyplace else, except Massachusetts—the only state he carried in the election. Morale among this group wasn't particularly high, to say the least. The one person I knew when I got there was Richard Rasmussen, another hometown boy. His stint didn't last long. I met one guy, Chuck Gorman, who had just graduated from college that spring and knew some of my friends at South Dakota State University. Our friendship lasted until tragedy struck later.

At the beginning of basic training, we went through a place called Classification and Assignment. Here they reviewed all your test scores, education, experience, etc. When I reached the final station, the guy told me, "With your test scores and education I don't know where you will be placed but it won't be infantry. After several weeks, my friend Richard Rasmussen was having big-time difficulty with the physical training aspects of Basic. He was born with a foot problem which hampered his athletic career all through school. Why the induction center in Sioux Falls didn't catch it during his normal physical can be attributed to two things: One, Uncle needed anyone he could get, no matter their physical condition.

Two, Richard really wanted to join the Army and gain from the experience, so he didn't call attention to the problem. Richard was sent home, much to his chagrin. The rest of us were jealous. At about week seven of basic training, our orders came down. Every time we marched by the Classification and Assignment Building I wanted to go in and strangle that guy who had told me otherwise. What was really depressing was that there would be 12 more weeks of combat training in an Advanced Infantry Training Company right there at Fort Lewis. I didn't see how I could take 12 more weeks of this stuff.

At the beginning of AIT, another friend from home had been drafted. Bob Whites was a high school friend that I kept in contact with during college. He was in a basic training company at Fort Lewis and I was able to visit him in his barracks on several occasions. I felt bad for anyone who was going through this with a wife at home, as Bob was.

Anything to delay the inevitable assignment to Vietnam. This was a new fast track program to get people trained to lead 81" and 4. Upon graduation, you earned the rank of E-5 buck sergeant.

  • Mans Duality.
  • Reserve Component Personnel Issues: Questions and Answers - mudywehy.tk!
  • Navigation menu?
  • List of accidents and incidents involving military aircraft (–) - Wikipedia.
  • War, Politics, and the Ballot in America;

We were placed in a casual company because our cycle wasn't starting until January. In the casual company we pulled KP and guard duty. We could either have off Christmas or the week after. We had a great week in Florida during the Orange Bowl festivities. I visited my cousin, Dave Knight, who was going to graduate school at the University of Miami, along with his parents and sister who were also visiting. Chuck Gorman's brother was killed in a car-train accident near Tyndall.

Chuck went home for the funeral and that was the last I saw of him. Upon return to Fort Benning, we got back into the military groove. The time at Fort Benning was pretty much uneventful. The highlight was meeting a couple of guys that I have stayed in contact with over the past 30 years. I recognized him and his car immediately. We spent the day touring Vicksburg, a civil war battle ground. That turned out to be quite a reunion for Jim and I while Bill and Mark sat by in disbelief that I was able to recognize Jim and flag him down.

We actually had a pretty good time leading the platoon. We took on the leadership style that we wouldn't ask the troops to do anything we wouldn't do ourselves. We led by example and the troops respected us for that. We led the forced marches carrying the same load as the trainees while the officer types' load was a canteen on a pistol belt. One of my favorite duties was leading the physical training exercises.

I picked up a lot of hardcore activities from one of the Basic Training drill sergeants I had at Fort Lewis. At Fort Polk, we visited a college friend of mine, Jim Jensen, who was stationed there. He had a place off post that was what appeared to be at one time a slaves' cabin on a large plantation. This was a great retreat for Bill and I as we would bring food and beverage on occasion and relax from the rigors of infantry training. On Memorial weekend , Bill and I went to Galveston to hit the beach.

We had a great time. Bill sunburned the tops of his feet and couldn't wear his boots, therefoe spending the first three days back at Fort Polk in bed with his feet propped up. He may have had a cold pack on his head also, but that wasn't from too much sun. Our tour of Fort Polk ended in June, and we had a couple weeks of leave before heading off to Vietnam. Bill was already there when I arrived and he shipped flew out a day or so ahead of me. I caught up with him at Ben Hoa Airbase in Vietnam.

Bill thinks to this day that I know everybody in South Dakota. We were standing beside each other when he got assigned to the st Airborne and I was sent to the 4th Infantry Division. We were both sent to units in the Central Highlands, as was Dave Whelan. Dave was also assigned to the 4th Division also.

While the three of us were all in separate units, our trails did cross while in Vietnam. The 4th Division was headquartered in Pleiku. The first night at base camp, I was put on perimeter guard duty. Three of us were assigned to a bunker. Two had to be up at all times during the night while the third one could sleep. The other two volunteered to take the whole night and told me I could stay in back and sleep. Sleep doesn't come easy your first night on duty. It soon became apparent that these two guys were dopers and spent the whole night shooting up on meth.

I was glad to see the sun rise. E, 1st Battalion of the 4th Infantry Division's 12 Infantry's heavy mortar platoon was operating. I was assigned as squad leader to a 4. One of the first things I did when I knew my assigned unit was to write a letter to my high school friend Bob Whites, who had been in Vietnam a while by now.

He got bored with his assignment as a clerk typist and volunteered as a door gunner on a Huey. My letter came back a few weeks later informing me that Bob had been killed in action. As I said, my first assignment was as a squad leader of a 4. We had a team of five or six guys. Our first priority was to keep the gun in firing condition and take care of the ammunition.

We usually dug some kind of bunker for the ammo to keep it dry and safe. Most of our firing missions were at night against suspected enemy locations SELS. He would plot these locations on a map. Often, these locations were fields or gardens that were thought to provide the Viet Cong with food.

Other times, there may have been evidence of enemy movement in these locations or enemy ammo caches. Then we would shoot at these map locations at night. The next day, the Battalion Commander would usually report that we hit the spots, but never really knew if we had hit anything significant.

Cottum, our platoon leader, complained to the Battalion Commander that these fire missions were like pissing in the ocean. There was a time when we would get dozens of map locations to drop a single round on. You would have to get almost a direct hit on whatever it was that was there to do anything. It was a whole lot of work to compute the data and aim and fire the guns at these locations and we never really knew for sure if we hit anything.

Premium Image Preview

Once in awhile we would have a live fire mission, which meant we were supporting troops who were in direct contact with the enemy. The 4. Whereas artillery had a lower projectory, and if the target was on the other side of the mountain, artillery couldn't hit it. We were usually located on a firebase with an artillery battery. It got pretty noisy at times when we were all blasting away. We could really light things up at night, and often did, so that troops farther out from our location could see the enemy at night.

The FDC received the map locations of the suspected enemy locations or direct observations from forward observers. We plotted these locations on a chart and then determined what direction and angle the mortars needed to be set at. We also calculated how much charge had to be put on each round in order to propel it to the target.

We then communicated the data to each gun squad. This was usually done by a phone system that we had rigged up between the FDC and the gun squads. Meyers, FL. Somehow, he had brought along an always-out-of-tune guitar to Vietnam. Many nights were spent listening to him sing Glen Campbell songs: "Wichita Lineman" and his all-time-favorite, "Ann. I still have the one I sent home and recently sent Inky a copy. I always thought he would be playing alongside Glen Campbell when he returned to the world, but I didn't see him when Glen was on Letterman one night.

Inky went on to become a professional musician and has his own recording company, Ink-Write Productions. Be sure and check out his original recording, "Island Dreams. We were usually in a protected bunker that we constructed with sandbags. We were better protected from the weather, especially during the rainy season, as well as from any stray bullets that might have been flying around.

Sometimes we made the FDC bunker big enough for several to sleep in because we were always on duty ready to receive a call for fire. It was about this time that I suffered my greatest wound of the war—an impacted wisdom tooth. I was sent to the rear in the first available helicopter and had the tooth extracted. I was suppose to stay in the rear for a week or so, but after about a day, I couldn't stand the sitting around and requested to return to the field and the FDC. I was gung-ho. The highlight of most days for the infantryman was mail call and chow.

We were suppose to get one hot meal a day. On some firebases, a field kitchen was set up and food was prepared right there. In other cases, we had meals shipped out to us in insulated containers. I later used the same concept in shipping food from a central kitchen to other school buildings. When we didn't have hot food we ate C-rations. Sometimes they were a welcome reprieve from the hot food that wasn't that great.

Whether we got hot food or mail depended on what fighting was going on. We were always supplied by helicopter as we were, with one exception, in the field where there was no access to roads. The first priority for the helicopters was to take care of the fighting. The next priority was hot food, mail, and clothes. We were suppose to get several changes of clothes each week, but again, that depended on the priority of things. You always tried to hold on to an extra shirt, pants, underwear and socks.

The one time we did have supply access by road, we were securing an engineering unit that was building a road. We got all kinds of things when we had this duty. They would ship out huge pieces of ice that were about 8' x 2' x 2'. We would chip off enough to fill an ammo can or sand bag and cool pop and beer with it.

This was the only time we ever had anything cold. One night things were getting a little dull so Sgt. Tom Wood decided he would start up one of the caterpillars and reminisce about his days back in the world working road construction after having some of that ice cold beer. There was no law against drinking and driving in Vietnam. I went to Sidney, Australia for a week of rest, relaxation and high living.

I spent time at the beach, the zoo, and the pubs. Spending time in the pubs was really interesting. This was where the men went to do their drinking—no women allowed. Sidney is a great melting-pot of people. In the pubs, I met men from many different European countries who had immigrated to Australia. They were very interested in asking about America and the war in Vietnam.

In Country

It was interesting to hear about their reasons for leaving England, France, Yugoslavia, etc. After Sidney, it was back to the platoon and the downside of my year in Vietnam. Most guys counted the days they had left. I didn't do that. Today students and some teachers count the days left till school is out. I don't do that either. It was now and the negative public attitude about the war at home began to drift to the troops in Vietnam.

Morale was never great, but it was now declining fast. The 4th Infantry Division was gradually pulling back to the coast of Vietnam and was supposedly scheduled to leave the country at some point in the near future. Troop morale in my unit was declining as many of us were on the downside of our tour. Most of us didn't see much point in what we were trying to accomplish.

Objectives were unclear and we just wanted to get by with doing as little as possible and then "see-ya! This would have been a good time for the Viet Cong to hit us because our state of readiness was suspect. The week in Bangkok was interesting. This was a whole different culture and probably similar to Vietnam. Even though I spent a year in Vietnam, I can't say that I really experienced the culture because I was out in the boonies all the time. I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in Bangkok, where they served beer by the quart in the theatres.

I had an interesting river cruise and spent time in the shops, which loved to see American GI's with money. I had some sport jackets custom-tailored for me and sent home from Bangkok. The day I left for Bangkok, my unit got orders to go to Cambodia. We were really sweating going to Cambodia as this was the action that Tricky Dick said would hasten the end of the war and we were expecting a lot of action.

When I got back from Bangkok, my unit had already returned from Cambodia. The whole campaign was really a farce. The Cambodian campaign brought out the troop protestors. I witnessed one guy sitting in the road facing off with an armored personnel carrier. He was physically removed and probably dealt with under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I don't know what the penalty would be for a soldier to protest a war. From here on out, morale was in further decline. On 27 June , I received orders to return to the "world" and prepare for ETS estimated time of separation.

On about 8 July , I left Vietnam and returned to Fort Lewis, Washington and was relieved from active duty "not by reason of physical disability. Sam wasn't going to recognize my impacted wisdom tooth either. On 10 July —one year, eleven months and seventeen days later from the time I stepped on that very ground for Basic Training within sight of that Classification and Assignment Building. Upon separation, I was awarded the following: the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service in connection with military operations against an armed hostile force; The Air Medal for meritorious achievement while participating in sustained aerial flight in support of combat ground forces in the Republic of Vietnam from 2 August to 25 May ; The Combat Infantryman Badge for participation in armed ground conflict while a member of "The Famous Fighting Fourth Infantry Division" in the Central Highlands of the Republic of Vietnam; a Certificate of Appreciation from General W.

Westmoreland and another from the Commander in Chief, Richard Nixon; a plaque from the "Officers and Men" of the 4th Division this always made me wonder if officers were not men ; and in , I received a Certificate of Recognition which I applied for over the Internet "for service during the period of the Cold War 2 September - 26 December in promoting peace and stability for this Nation, the people of this Nation are forever grateful" from William S.

Cohen, Secretary of Defense. So as far as wars go, I am one for one—won one and lost one. There, I spent a day or so visiting friends, Meredith and Jan Wilson. During my time in Vietnam, our unit suffered no serious injuries or casualties. To say we were fortunate would be the understatement of the 20th Century. That wisdom tooth I suffered from turned out to be no good at all. It provided no wisdom whatsoever when I chose the draft over whatever the other alternatives were.

Be that as it may, and the way everything turned, out I am proud to have served and say I am a Vietnam veteran. The military experience made me a stronger and better person. I feel a special relationship with others who have served. Everything is small stuff compared to war. Ted Voight was the catcher in a game at Lake Preston in when I was brought in to pitch in the bottom of the 7th inning.

The score was tied with no outs with the basis loaded. Ted had never caught me before and I wasn't sure if he could handle my curve ball. I struck out the first two batters with fast balls. I shook off several calls for curve balls but when I was up on the third batter and Ted called for a curve, I threw it for a called third strike. Ted couldn't handle it and the winning run scored from third on the passed ball.

I was a little upset in By I learned not to sweat the small stuff. Bill Biever played second base that game. These three and the others from the Iroquois area that served during the Vietnam era deserve a monument for answering the call of their country. They didn't protest and they didn't take other measures to avoid serving.

I have a quote from a company that makes monuments and I am going to start talking it up with others. If I don't it, it doesn't look like an ungrateful society will. In , I was recalled to active duty and assigned to an infantry national guard unit out of Seattle, WA and told to report to Fort Lewis, WA for two weeks of summer training. I couldn't believe this was happening. It was deja vu all over again—my worst nightmare was going back into the Army.

I went through the same procurement building to secure the same equipment I had been issued in basic training. And that Classification and Assignment Building was in sight again. We were recalled because National Guard Infantry units didn't seem to attract much attention from people wanting to join the Guard to avoid Vietnam, so they called us up to get up to strength for summer training. After the first formation, one guy from South Dakota went in to Yakama and checked in to a hotel.

He never showed his face again until the final formation two weeks later and was never missed. When we went to the field, another Vietnam veteran and myself fought over who would get to sleep in the cab of the truck all day. The loser would lay in the shade underneath. It was here that I met my bride of 33 years, Barb. And from then on I lived happily ever after After that statement, I spent quite a few hours on the gun mount. I held the position of 1st loader and eventually gun captain on the same gun mount. Should I have kept quiet and not opened my mouth?

I volunteered and was chosen to stand guard at the church where the service was to be held for the deceased. Our ROTC unit also assisted with the service at the gravesite. The somber memory you can never forget Thomsen, Pierre, SD Mike survived with a few an ambush. He was watching an orphan and a stray dog, both were killed. Vinson No story, but I am still in the military. Just returned from mobilization at Fort Hood, Texas for one year. Will retire 4 January 06 with rank of master sergeant with 31 years of service. I had a choice of advance training or continuing to teach at Fort Sill.

I chose to go to Germany on tour. The entire duration was spent in southern Germany, thus out of harm's way in Vietnam. I had college friends who entered the service to be home in less than year, either shot up or K. I have plenty. What I would like to comment on is the young men and women that served our country during the Vietnam conflict. We were told it wasn't a war yet. We put forth our best effort with what we were given to us by our government and carried out our mission with the orders given to us by our leaders. Sometimes with regret and loss of life, but we stuck it out, served our tour of duty and came home to "what".

Our country lost a lot of good soldiers over there and I hope that this memorial gives us all a little closure so we can finally put this behind us. It's not going to heal everyone's wounds, but it's a step in the right direction. It's time for the Vietnam vets to finally stand beside our fellow comrades from other wars and be proud of our service to our country. Thank you, South Dakota, Governor Daugaard, and all the people who took the time and effort to put this dedication together.

God Bless the USA! Three of us constituted the draft group for Custer county that month. As I recall, two of us showed up to catch the bus to Sioux Falls. Whoever the third man was, we never saw him. The war was the major campaign issue that fall, and it had been the flash point for highly-televised unrest at the Democratic convention in Chicago that summer. With riots going on in some of the inner cities, and lots of radical rhetoric, it seemed that the country was in serious internal trouble and that trouble was now affecting me on a very personal level. Not reporting for the draft had never been a real consideration in my thinking.

I knew one college classmate who had declared conscientious objector status, and he was currently being prosecuted in federal court. It seemed we stopped in one town after another, picking up a few people with each stop. By the time we arrived in Sioux Falls, the bus was full. Those who passed the physical the next day were sworn in, and I recall making that one step forward to take the oath Oct. We flew out of Sioux Falls to Seattle-Tacoma before the day was out.

Our basic training was done at Fort Lewis, Washington. Stepping off the buses from the airport was a culturally disorienting experience—there were about 25 of us from South Dakota—and it looked like a thousand people came shoving off the buses from the Oakland-San Francisco area. I remember the distinct thought that they must have emptied the tenements and found the street people to fill out their draft quota from California, because those people did not look healthy or law-abiding!

Later in Basic, it became obvious that California draft boards did not collect anybody who had family, means, or excuses to avoid the draft. So they took the poor, the minorities, and the uneducated to fill their numbers. As I recall, it was seven weeks from start to finish. Initially, the training was intimidating and depersonalizing—intentionally so. Later it became a matter of teaching combat and survival skills. Despite the fact that I was a college graduate and had an idea of the conditioning process, I gained esprit de corps just like everyone else, maybe with a little more self-preservation into the process.

When his initial 90 days were up he re-enlisted for the duration of the war, and these day-by-day notes convey his experience in plain words. There is much here on the challenges of daily life, such as the weather, meals or the lack of them , laundry, illness, and the landscapes he marched through. But Sweet also gives eyewitness accounts of battles and skirmishes as he traveled with the 14th Infantry across Tennessee to Atlanta, and then on with Gen. William Sherman's troops to the sea - - more than 1, miles in all.

The Atlanta Campaign is described on pages , and his work destroying the infrastructure of the southern states under Sherman's command, from Atlanta to Columbia, So. Carolina, occupies much of the last 10 pages. Cornelius Byington. In the diary, he describes the status of his regiment, the siege of Vicksburg, and burning railroads and homes July 18, Military Service Note: Byington, Cornelius. Battle Creek.

Commissioned Major April 25, Mustered May 25, Commissioned Major July 26, Died Dec. Rufus Dawes was just 22 years old when the war broke out. He rose from captain of a company of Wisconsin lumberjacks to colonel of the 6th Wisconsin Infantry and a leader of the Iron Brigade.

The first volume of his diary is not a daily journal but rather contains long narratives of the battles of Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and other engagements, written soon after they happened. The second volume consists of daily entries from July through June Both volumes document what it was like for a young man to be thrust into authority amid great challenges and horrors. After the war, Dawes became a merchant in Marietta, Ohio, and served a term in Congress. Reminiscences of the Twenty-second Iowa volunteer infantry, giving its organization, marches, skirmishes, battles, and sieges, as taken from the diary of Lieutenant S.

Jones of Company A. Samuel McBlain. Diary and transcriptions of Capt. Samuel McBlain, Later became a teacher,a farmer, a justice of the peace and a life insurance salesman. Samuel Hollingsworth Stout. Samuel Hollingsworth Stout papers These papers relate to Dr. Samuel H. Included are documents relating to the physical conditions of William Cleveland and A. Additional items discuss the transfer of wounded soldiers, the capacity of LaGrange Hospital and the hiring of slaves for hospitals.

Also included is a letter from W. Beckam written from Parole Camps, Demopolis, Alabama discussing war experiences. Thomas Sparrow. Thomas Sparrow, a New Bern, N. The diary, which concerns Sparrow's imprisonment at Fort Warren, Mass. This is the diary of David E. He was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, and subsequently hospitalized. He records his activities in camp, the company's travels on steamboats, and the skirmishes and battles in which he fought in Mississippi and Arkansas during the Civil War.

Diary of the Paymaster of Fremont's Body Guard, Describes the expedition to Springfield, including an account of the charge against Springfield and the return to St. Contains frequent mentions of Major Charles Zagonyi [Karoly Zagonyi], and information on marches and foraging expeditions. Diary of the War for Separation Copy 1. Diary of the War for Separation Copy 2. Diary of the War for Separation Copy 3. Diary of the War for Separation Transcript.

  • Item Preview.
  • Reflections of a Civil War Locomotive Engineer!
  • SD Department of Veterans Affairs!

Clarke, of Vicksburg, Miss. Contains accounts of the affairs of the 31st Iowa Infantry from its organization in the fall of to its subsequent service in Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia. Also includes information on marches. The back of the diary contains postwar accounts of Orcutt and Bros.

Thus the diary may have been written by Noel P. Orcutt or Darius M. Orcutt, both of whom served in the 31st Iowa Infantry during the war. Edwin F. Diary of Edwin F. Holmes, dated In this diary, he discusses the movements of his regiment, marching, skirmishes, clothing, Siege of Corinth, food, and a grand review November 11, At the end of the diary, he includes a list of his locations, prices of supplies in Nashville, and a list of his officers.

The National Anthem - Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Charlestown

Veteran , Fentonville. Enlisted in company H, Tenth Infantry, Feb. Mustered Feb. Re-enlisted Feb. Sergeant Major March 28, Commissioned First Lieutenant and Adjutant, May 8, Mustered May 22, Commissioned July 6, Mustered out at Louisville, Ky. The diary covers August June , and include entries made in Wisconsin, Missouri, and Mississippi. Edwin R. Sharpe Journal, December December The first three journals were kept while Sharpe served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

They discuss camp life and military tactics of several major battles and campaigns, such as Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, Fredericksburg in Virginia, Antietam in Maryland, the Battle of the Wilderness in Virginia, and the Valley Campaign led by Stonewall Jackson in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. The first journal contains some quotes from various authors. Most entries describe the weather and the time of daily drills and dress parades, but the diary also documents such events as the fall of Richmond, the surrender of General Robert E. Lee, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, Stephens' time guarding the Lincoln Conspirators and witnessing the executions, and the paying off of several regiments.

Prior to he was promoted to major. Eugene Bergin Hinkley. Correspondence from Eugene Bergin Hinkley to his sisters in which he details his activities while traveling as secretary to Commodore Thatcher, who was stationed aboard the U. Sloop-of-War Constellation bound for the Mediterranean to protect Union shipping.

The tour also served a diplomatic function as Thatcher and Hinkley met with American and foreign diplomats at each port. Several letters include news about the Civil War as well as rumors from the diplomatic community about possible foreign actions. The news that Gen. George B. Stanton's culpability in not supporting McClellan 26 July Later, Hinkley speculates on charges of incompetence being leveled at General McClellan 18 December and questions whether McClellan lost Richmond because the use of McDowell's Corps was withheld from him 4 July Also included is a discussion of whether war with the Confederacy is justified by the Constitution 26 February Hinkley was unsure of the ability of the Union leaders to gain victory, while noting the success of the Confederacy against all odds 17 May In the English port of Gibraltar, Union and Confederate ships, in theory, were both restricted to a twenty-four-hour stay.

There, also, relations between English and Union officers were tense, ending in a fight in a restaurant 4 May Items of interest about each country are also included in the correspondence. In Turkey, the easy life of Beirut missionaries who were better supported and had fewer responsibilities than the majority of clergymen in New England is detailed 26 September Hinkley also describes a meeting with the president of the Ottoman Railway Co.

Ferdinand Sophus Winslow letters, September February Ferdinand Sophus Winslow letters, February-September Ferdinand Sophus Winslow letters, September April Abner R. R Small. With an introduction written by Gen. James A. In the form of a diary, with biographies and statistical tables appended.

This is the diary of Alexander S. The diary covers January 1 to November 29, and includes daily entries from military camps near Mobile, Alabama and Brownsville, Texas. Almon Hodges. Unique for its clarity and detail, Hodges's diary offers a rich narrative of his nine months of service in the Union Army.

Hodges began his dairy in September of , while undergoing basic training at Camp Meigs in Readville, Mass. Beginning of the march from Atlanta to the sea : a diary by Alonzo B. Lothrop and Frank B. Lothrop, with a letter written by Joseph Nelson. This pamphlet contains two primary historical accounts of the experiences of the 25th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during General Sherman's Savannah campaign. One part of the pamphlet is a transcript of a diary kept by Alonzo H.

Lothrop during Sherman's March to the Sea. The diary ranges from November 15th to 23rd. The additional section of the pamphlet is a letter written by Corporal J. Nelson to his sister. The letter is dated May 31st Alonzo Miller. The collection consists of typed transcripts of Private Miller's daily diary and letters to his family during his time as a soldier.

The letters and diary chronicles the 12th regiment's march from Wisconsin through Tennessee and Alabama and into Georgia. His papers provide detailed descriptions of the towns and countryside through which he travelled and include observations on the daily activities of soldiers, such as training and foraging, as well as comments on the weather and the general health of himself and his fellow troops.

Miller described battles and skirmishes his brigade fought on its way to Atlanta. He describes the action of the Battle of Atlanta, and the subsequent march to Savannah, through the Carolinas, and into Washington, D. He makes mention of the presidential election of November, and the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in April, Miller's diary also chronicles his frustration over constraints on his mobility while in Washington and his train ride home to Wisconsin after the war ended. Babcock's Civil War diary begins near Washington, D. While at Fort Carroll, his entries largely contain descriptions of his duties in camp drills and guard, police, or orderly duties , as well as rare sight-seeing trips in the city.

He occasionally mentions his meals, recording one day in March where he had roast turkey for dinner--several of his friends caught seven turkeys the previous day. Like many soldiers, Babcock frequently records the weather in his diary. In May of , the artillery unit moved to Fort Willard, Virginia. For most of that month, Babcock's diary continues to record picket and guard duties, as well as inspections and dress parades. On May 27, the regiment marched to Washington and loaded on to boats headed down the Potomac River.

He spent several days on board the U. On June 5, , Babcock writes they were being shelled, which resulting in the "killing [of] one man from Co. For most of June, July, and into August, Babcock's diary includes lengthy entries of his experiences from the rifle pits in Petersburg, as well as camp life. On July 30, he writes "losses very heavy on both sides our men occupy the same ground they did this morning. In early September, Babcock's entries find him increasingly ill and excused from duty. The regiment left for the Shenandaoh Valley in October and on October 8, Babcock writes, "slept in Hospital to night for the first time since I have been a soldier.

His entries for October are very brief. From November 6 to the end of the year, Babcock's diary is about his activities at home while on furlough. Willis A. Babcock enlisted as a private with Company B of the 10th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery on December 8, he notes his month anniversary in his diary on March 8, During November and December of , Babcock was on a furlough which was extended from its initial 12 days to an additional 18 days. He spent it at home in New York. The memorandum section of the diary notes extended furlough pay in December.

He appears to have mustered out as a corporal, but it is unclear if this occurred with the regiment or prior to the end of the war. There is no information about his life after the war. The various companies of the 10th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery were formed during the fall and winter of By June of the entire regiment was stationed in Washington, D.

The regiment remained there until May , when it moved to Cold Harbor, Virginia. The unit fought at a number of significant battles in Virginia, including Cold Harbor, a portion of the Petersburg campaign, and Cedar Creek in the Shenandoah Valley. In December , the regiment moved again and was stationed at Bermuda Hundred, Virginia, until joining the Appomattox Campaign in March , and the final battle at Petersburg in April.

William T. Russel , C. Hospital Department Surgical Notes. Russel, William T. Thomas , Diary of William T. Thomas Russel containing entries on medical cases of Confederate soldiers, Holcombe Legion, from the years - Soldier case entries include, name, rank and company within the Holcombe Legion and references to specific battles. Name entries verified in: South Carolina Confederate soldiers, He served as the surgeon for the Confederate Army, Holcombe Legion, until the end of the war.

William M. Diary of William M. Horton, dated January 1, through August 28, Also included in the diary is a letter list, an expenses list, a regimental history, and a list of officers and enlisted men in the 26th Michigan Infantry, Company E with details of their service record. Mustered Dec.

Corporal, Oct. Wounded in action near Petersburg, Va. Discharged Aug. Colored Troops. William L. Mangum papers, , undated. Transcript of William L. Mangum papers, , undated This collection consists of military orders for Dr. Mangum to raise a cavalry company from wounded Confederate soldiers; personal letters; Confederate military passes; account pages; tax and other receipts, ; and birth, marriage, and death certificates for other members of the family.

Louis and Warrensburg, MO ; activities; weather; mail; general health of the companies, sickness mumps, varioloid , and death; traffic on the river; food or lack thereof; and travel via train and boat. William E. Diary of William E. Green was elected Captain of the company. Pages 57 and 58 are missing from the diary. William A. Dewey Civil War diary of William A. Entered service in company A, Twentieth Infantry, at organization, as Second Lieutenant, July 31, , at Leslie, for 3 years, age Mustered Aug. Commissioned First Lieutenant July 29, Commissioned Captain Dec.

Mustered April 25, Killed in action near Petersburg, Va. February January Basil H. He saw action at Vicksburg several times. He was later promoted to Corporal. It mainly describes the non-combat life of Messler and his fellow soldiers. Benjamin M. Peck Diary The leather bound, preprinted diary contains two daily entries per page with cash accounts and notes sections in the back of the diary. In Benjamin M. Due to absences, injuries, and illness of other officers he was placed in command of the regiment before being assigned to lead the 1st United States Sharp Shooters. Brigadier General Byron R.

Pierce saw fit to place him in charge of the three companies of sharpshooters and he remained in this position until the end of the war. Peck describes battles, skirmishes, picket lines, commands, and other military assignments and engagements in great detail. He notes the various marches and travel routes of his company and records his travels between the Virginia front and his home in Towanda, PA. He lists his men who were wounded or killed in battle, describes court martial proceedings, and even gives an account of the execution of a Union soldier for desertion.

Following the presidential election he enumerates each candidate's results within the division, which Lincoln won convincingly. The leather bound, preprinted, pocket diary contains one entry per day with cash accounts and notes listed in the back of the book. This diary continues with the st PA Volunteers camped outside of Petersburg in their winter quarters and continues through the end of the war and Peck's return home. Peck was assigned to preside over several court martial proceedings and gives details regarding these proceedings and punishments, which include a botched execution of a Union soldier.

As in the first diary, Peck provides an account of the daily movement of Union troops and supplies. He also gives detailed lists of captured soldiers and artillery, as well as Union wounded and casualty records. As the war nears its conclusion Peck was in charge of mustering out soldiers and kept thorough records of the process. He also recounts receiving the news of Presidents Lincoln's assassination and describes the mood of the men upon hearing the President was killed. Elmore describes the life of soldier, homesickness, combat, illness, and troop movements. Lacey diary, This collection consists of a Civil War diary by C.

Lacey that mainly focuses on battles in Georgia. Accompanied is a cased photo on glass of Lacey as an older man. Calvin N. Pocket diary of Lieutenant Colonel Calvin N. Otis, th New York Volunteer Infantry. The entries date from Jan. In the back of the diary is an account and pencil map of an unidentified battle, possibly Fair Oaks. This collection contains four items including an original diary kept by Carrie Berry from ; an original diary kept by her from ; a friendship book published in , which is titled Mental Photographs an Album for Confessions or Tastes, Habits, and Convictions; and a letter written to Carrie Berry and Blanche Hardin from Clement A.

In the diary kept from , Carrie gives a child's account of the siege, occupation and burning of Atlanta. Diary includes descriptions of military camps in Virginia and Andersonville Prison in Georgia. Charles C. Phillips Civil War diary and Signal Corps message book, Message book and diary in one volume kept by Phillips during the period April 24, - July 13, Includes details about Signal Corps activities during this period. Benjamin F. White Diary. The collection includes the diary kept by Benjamin F. White while serving in Virginia, July-October The diary contains a detailed narrative of events, with comments and reflections, including discussion of the Battle of Manassas Bull Run , 21 July Topics discussed include diseases that killed many in the regiment, preaching and baptizing, gambling, and other aspects of camp life.

Albert Moses Luria. Diary, The collection is a typed transcription of the diary of Albert Moses Luria while he was serving as a lieutenant in the 23rd North Carolina Infantry Regiment, Confederate States of America, 19 August February The diary includes a description of the battle of Manassas Junction First Battle of Bull Run with an official list of casualties and an account of an engagement near Union Mills, Va. Alfred D. Morgan Diary - Sep. Morgan Diary - Jan. Charles, Illinois. Morgan noted that he sent home money from Illinois, Missouri and Kansas while in service.

Jefferson Thompson's surrender of 7, men at Chalk Bluff, Missouri. In early September, they were ordered to Fort Larned, Kansas, where they remained through November, loading supply wagon trains while the Kiowa Indians traded at the Fort. Morgan was angry about being stationed in what he believed was the heart of secessionism; Kansas. At the end of November, the 17th Illinois Cavalry left for Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, camping in heavy snow and killing many buffalo along the way.

By the time they arrived at Fort Leavenworth in December, Morgan's health had deteriorated and he was put in the hospital. The remainder of the diary consists of the names and hometowns of the men in Company D and some from Company B of the 17th Illinois Cavalry. Morgan noted that some were deceased and others deserted.

His regiment organized in St Charles, Illinois, in January The 17th Illinois Cavalry fought in the Battle of Centralia on September 27, and, according to Morgan, engaged in a large skirmish against roughly 3, Confederate Cavalry on the Osage River on October 6. After Price retreated from Missouri, the 17th Illinois Cavalry camped in Springfield, Missouri, where Morgan feared they would all die due to bad weather conditions, lack of supplies, low rations and poor leadership.

By November , Morgan believed only men remained of the 17th Illinois Cavalry, with 21 men belonging to Company D. Alfred Mantor. Mantor's diary covers January through April of , shortly before he was killed in action in May. Entries focus on his regiment's activities, as well as his personal experiences teaching Sunday school in the Norfolk, Virginia, area. Alfred L. Mantor was promoted to Sergeant on September 8, Andrew J. Also includes an envelope undated which contained the diary. Each entry begins with the phrase "1 day for Uncle Sam" and in the cash accounts in the back of the diary, Bushee refers to his pay as coming from "Uncle Sam.

Bushee writes frequently of picket duty and skirmishes around Franklin, Carville [sic] likely Carrsville , and Norfolk, Virginia. He also provides some details of the siege at Suffolk in April In July, the regiment began the trip to Charleston, South Carolina. Although he seems he often notes being ordered to and going to the front, he does not detail his actions there. By September, Bushee's increasing illness begins to dominate his diary.

The last eight weeks of entries, ending abruptly on November 18th, consists of little more than "feel unwell. The latter pages of the diary contain detailed cash accounts of Bushee's purchases, as well as a list of dead and wounded from the company, and dates he served on guard and picket duty. Charles H. Knox diary and letters, The collection consists of a memoir written by Charles H. Knox based upon a diary kept as a prisoner that describes the battle which resulted in his capture, the trip to Andersonville by train, the layout of the prison using a hand drawn map, the shelters of either tents or holes dug in the ground, the food and prices, the number of prisoners arriving on various days, punishments, hangings and exchange of prisoners.

He includes maps and drawings of the prison grounds. There are also two letters to his wife. One letter informing her of his imprisonment and the other from Annapolis telling her that he was exchanged on February 26, Knox was finally sent to Florence South Carolina stockade for exchange. This collection consists of diaries, an account book, images, and a letter by Asbury L. Stephens of the 81st Ohio Infantry. The content mostly covers the Civil War during The 81st Ohio Infantry , of which Asbury L.

Stephens was a member,was active during the Civil War. In this time the regiment captured numerous prisoners, obtained three battle flags, and participated in regular duties of siege. It is an undated narrative account that describes various campaigns and battles including the Battle of Gettysburg. The diary describes his experiences during four years and one month of service: the battles, the news he heard about the War in other parts of the country, and the problems of soldiering. Kroff's regiment fought fifteen regular battles, including Shiloh, the capture of Corinth, and the battle at Fort Donelson.

The regiment was under fire seventy-seven different days. The last official entry of the diary is August 11, , when the 11th Indiana Infantry Volunteers received their pay and went their separate ways. There is an additional entry dated December 11, , the seventy-second birthday of Charles Kroff. Alpheus C.

Contains brief daily entries regarding the affairs of the 32nd Missouri Infantry, including camp activities at Camp Proclamation, Ala. January to May ; regimental affairs during the Atlanta campaign May to September , including brief accounts of battles; and mentions of guerrilla warfare in Dent County, Mo. November to December Andrew Arneson. Andrew E. Arneson Diary, Andrew Arneson was 25 years old when he began keeping this diary.

He had come from Norway to Blue Mounds, Wis. Arneson served as a private in Co. A of the 49th Infantry and spent most of his days guarding prisoners in Missouri. His diary is interesting because it records how the closing days of the war appeared to a humble rank-and-file soldier. Most of its entries are short but beginning on page 49 is a long ""Memoranda"" in which Arneson reflects on his experiences. After discharge he returned to farming in Ridgeway, Wis. Horeb, where he was active in village politics until his death in Charles L.

Minor Cash Book and Edward P. Harmon Civil War Diary, Cash book maintained by Confederate Captain Charles L. Minor from to Harmon 5th Maine Infantry during May and June, Research materials on the two soldiers including photocopies of maps, muster rolls, census records, and an image of Harmon and a complete photocopy of the piece are also included. The small volume of 68 pages, bearing on its spine the embossment "cash book," was retained for its intended use by Captain Minor, its original owner, to carefully record personal expenditures and savings.

Minor's records commence with November 6, and end on May 4, In recording these financial transactions, Minor provides details regarding his daily whereabouts and activities. He records meal and travel purchases, as well as amounts paid to individual servants, expenses for personal and household items, services, and military gear. Also recorded within the book are Minor's bank transactions for , a list of silver wedding gifts received by Fanny Cazenove Minor, and a list of stocks and bonds held by Minor. The cash book was among materials seized by Federal troops in the act of destroying the rail line and depot at Hewletts Station, Virginia on May 25, , and came into the possession of Private Harmon, who used it as a diary.

As the first diary entry predates the volume's capture by three weeks, we may surmise that the early entries were made retrospectively or that they were copied from another book. Harmon's first entry, for May 2, finds his regiment having just crossed the Hazel River and preparing to cross the Rapidan. Soon, Harmon describes fearful, endless shelling by "cast iron hummingbirds" during the Battle of the Wilderness. Harmon briefly mentions African American troops, Confederate prisoners of war, and camp rumors. As the regiment marches toward Spotsylvania Court House, Harmon mentions a fire in which many wounded soldiers were killed.

He describes heavy fighting and losses at Spotsylvania and at one point questions the actions of the Brigade commander. Many of the entries center on his brigade's movements and preparations for battles that often fail to materialize. Harmon's diary entries end with June 3, Following the June 3 entry is a gap, indicating the removal of several pages, and a page of wartime accounts held by Harmon and I. The volume also contains two botanical samples, one of which appears to be a collection of four-leaved clovers, tipped into the first two pages.

James Joseph Williamson. Mosby's Rangers: a record of the operations of the Forty-third battalion Virginia cavalry, from its organization to the surrender, from the diary of a private, supplemented and varified with official reports of federal officers and also of Mosby; with personal reminiscences, sketches of skirmishes, battles and bivouacs, dashing raids and daring adventures, scenes and incidents in the history of Mosby's command Muster rolls, occupation and present whereabouts of surviving members.

This small, leather-bound volume is the page diary kept by schoolgirl Alice Williamson at Gallatin, Tennessee from February to September The main topic of the diary is the occupation of Gallatin and the surrounding region by Union forces under General Eleazer A. Soheol ing Many persons wno did not -njny liahed In the atate The Fbrt ayne oouroo and several of the other I The excellent course In bookkeep tual teaching experience, beven Fears Theodore F Racht la both registrar appreciate the character of the work school reapa an added advantage classes.

Mr Is being manifested here In tbe! Central Normal' hat the men la his Classes are of Benedict's college and baa had four vulcanising electricity, mechanical The success of the school has been least doubled. B JJpaner formerly of manahlp navlgatlo i and marine engineering tha aerial mall aervlce. Expected to Exceed Ml auouner reaorta Kach Dtsne. States and Its territories who are th Oreat lkea thla season will ex A new class af summer reaortero engaged In reading one or more of has sprung up In recent years, according tha courses outlined by tha bureau ceed all previous records, according to II W Thorp and ParV of education persons wno com' to officials of passenger lines run Robbine.

Where formerly the ''white tonai" aaianea man toon nis ramuy esteneHon division of tha In Dally weekly or by weekly boats The on weak end and fortnightly vaca d! It dos not rlos.