It is easy to draw up a list of substantial criticisms. For one thing, Mr. Some readers may detect the reflex of the lifelong recovering cleric in his recoiling from whatever might appear to be patriarchal or excluding. And most important are questions about the nature and use of religious language for pointing to a mystery that can never be captured in human words.
Yet serious critics, no matter how major their differences, will not be able to ignore the enormous, almost disarming honesty of this book. Knitter admits his painful puzzlements and conducts his search for answers out in the open. He does not hide behind academic abstraction but writes clearly and personally and leaves himself open to correction.
But he has written his book in part to see whether fellow Christians agree. Or if not, as he explained this week, will he feel obliged to recognize himself as a Christian Buddhist? Tell us what you think. Please upgrade your browser. See next articles.
Newsletter Sign Up Continue reading the main story Please verify you're not a robot by clicking the box. Invalid email address. Please re-enter.
- A Highland Home: A Contemporary Romance (The Highland Heart Series Book 2)?
- L’ASTROLOGIA CINESE (Italian Edition);
- Love Lost in Time (Victorian Time-Travel);
- Hako Iri Musume (Japanese Edition).
- Light Trees (How to Design Your Own Nails Book 18)!
- Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian | The Christian Century.
You must select a newsletter to subscribe to. Sign Up. You will receive emails containing news content , updates and promotions from The New York Times. You may opt-out at any time.
Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian
You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services. Thank you for subscribing. An error has occurred. Please try again later. Access options available:. Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide.
Without Buddha I Could Not be a Christian
Buddhist-Christian Studies. In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content: Reviewed by:.
- Frost First Love Last Love;
- In English: Sumerian-English Dictionary: Vocabulary, And History. Volume 5 (Letter T) (Comparative dictionary of words and vocabulary in 12 ancient languages.).
- Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian by Paul F. Knitter;
- WANT TO READ MORE?.
- Search form.
- Annies Neighborhood (Mills & Boon Heartwarming).
- Without Buddha I Could Not Be a Christian: Paul Knitter | National Catholic Reporter.
Additional Information. Project MUSE Mission Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide.